In a clinical psychology PhD program you learn to apply psychology to the analysis, research and treatment of severe mental health disorders, such as bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. There are many theories and approaches to clinical psychology, but it began in 1896 with the work of Lightner Witmer on learning disabilities. Other psychologists followed with their own theories and treatments of educational and other psychological disturbances, e.g., Sigmund Freud, Carl Jung and Alfred Adler. Degree programs may vary slightly as to the content and specializations offered, depending on the research interests of the faculty.
This page provides further details of the programs, where they can be found, the career prospects after completion, and more. You will need to have a masters degree before taking a doctorate. Click here to find out more about masters programs in clinical psychology.
What are the career prospects with a clinical psychology PhD?
Accredited online psychology degrees provide many career opportunities in private sector, e.g., marketing, personnel management. There are also many positions in the public sector, e.g., in teaching, social and community work, mental health care in hospitals, clinics and schools.
The number of positions in this area is growing. The American Psychological Association says that psychology is the third fastest-growing field in America requiring a college degree. For the best jobs you really need a doctorate in clinical psychology.
Salaries are high among for top jobs clinical psychology. To a great extent it depends on your specialization in your clinical psychology PhD. In the US, in forensic clinical psychology the average salary is about US$71,000 (PayScales.com).
List of schools and programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Graduate Business Programs and Education Programs in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Financial aid is available for students who quality, with more than $1,000,000 through 10 scholarships.
- Offers 24/7 student services, including financial aid help, course registration, and career counseling.
- Students may opt in for a two week, risk-free trial period.
- Active-duty military, veterans, and Veteran’s Administration employees can save 15% on tuition.
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Clinical Psychology
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Social Psychology
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Educational Psychology
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Clinical Psychology (PsyD)
- Grand Canyon University - Where a Quality Education and Faith Coexist
- Recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- We support students through their academic and spiritual journey.
- GCU offers the convenience of online, on-campus, or evening programs.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Performance Psychology
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Integrating Technology, Learning, and Psychology
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession. Our competency-based curriculum delivers foundational knowledge and real-world skills, so what you’re learning is immediately applicable to your career. We serve more than 36,000 students from the U.S. and around the world and offer more than 140 graduate and undergraduate specializations and 20 certificate programs.