In a clinical psychology PhD program you learn to apply psychology to the analysis, research and treatment of severe mental health disorders, such as bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. There are many theories and approaches to clinical psychology, but it began in 1896 with the work of Lightner Witmer on learning disabilities. Other psychologists followed with their own theories and treatments of educational and other psychological disturbances, e.g., Sigmund Freud, Carl Jung and Alfred Adler. Degree programs may vary slightly as to the content and specializations offered, depending on the research interests of the faculty.
This page provides further details of the programs, where they can be found, the career prospects after completion, and more. You will need to have a masters degree before taking a doctorate. Click here to find out more about masters programs in clinical psychology.
What are the career prospects with a clinical psychology PhD?
Accredited online psychology degrees provide many career opportunities in private sector, e.g., marketing, personnel management. There are also many positions in the public sector, e.g., in teaching, social and community work, mental health care in hospitals, clinics and schools.
The number of positions in this area is growing. The American Psychological Association says that psychology is the third fastest-growing field in America requiring a college degree. For the best jobs you really need a doctorate in clinical psychology.
Salaries are high among for top jobs clinical psychology. To a great extent it depends on your specialization in your clinical psychology PhD. In the US, in forensic clinical psychology the average salary is about US$71,000 (PayScales.com).
List of schools and programs
- Several institutional scholarship opportunities are available to students who qualify.
- Features several learning model options, including online, residency, and hybrid options.
- Offers graduate degree programs in organizational leadership, mind-body medicine, psychology and human science.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Two teaching locations in Seattle, Washington with the university headquarters located in Oakland, California.
- Ph.D. Psychology, Psychophysiology Specialization
- Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology
- Ph.D. Psychology
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Mental Health Policy and Practice - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- PhD in Psychology