In a clinical psychology PhD program you learn to apply psychology to the analysis, research and treatment of severe mental health disorders, such as bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. There are many theories and approaches to clinical psychology, but it began in 1896 with the work of Lightner Witmer on learning disabilities. Other psychologists followed with their own theories and treatments of educational and other psychological disturbances, e.g., Sigmund Freud, Carl Jung and Alfred Adler. Degree programs may vary slightly as to the content and specializations offered, depending on the research interests of the faculty.
This page provides further details of the programs, where they can be found, the career prospects after completion, and more. You will need to have a masters degree before taking a doctorate. Click here to find out more about masters programs in clinical psychology.
What are the career prospects with a clinical psychology PhD?
Accredited online psychology degrees provide many career opportunities in private sector, e.g., marketing, personnel management. There are also many positions in the public sector, e.g., in teaching, social and community work, mental health care in hospitals, clinics and schools.
The number of positions in this area is growing. The American Psychological Association says that psychology is the third fastest-growing field in America requiring a college degree. For the best jobs you really need a doctorate in clinical psychology.
Salaries are high among for top jobs clinical psychology. To a great extent it depends on your specialization in your clinical psychology PhD. In the US, in forensic clinical psychology the average salary is about US$71,000 (PayScales.com).
List of schools and programs
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
- Ph.D. Business Psychology, I/O Track
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Clinical Psychology (PsyD)
You believe a better world is possible, and you want to be part of it. We share your vision.
Adler University educates students to engage the world and create a more just society. Established in 1952 to build on the pioneering work of Alfred Adler, the first community psychologist, the University offers master’s and doctoral degree programs for social change. Students enroll and complete degree programs at our urban campuses in downtown Chicago and Vancouver.
- Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Mental Health Policy and Practice - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology