In a clinical psychology PhD program you learn to apply psychology to the analysis, research and treatment of severe mental health disorders, such as bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. There are many theories and approaches to clinical psychology, but it began in 1896 with the work of Lightner Witmer on learning disabilities. Other psychologists followed with their own theories and treatments of educational and other psychological disturbances, e.g., Sigmund Freud, Carl Jung and Alfred Adler. Degree programs may vary slightly as to the content and specializations offered, depending on the research interests of the faculty.
This page provides further details of the programs, where they can be found, the career prospects after completion, and more. You will need to have a masters degree before taking a doctorate. Click here to find out more about masters programs in clinical psychology.
What are the career prospects with a clinical psychology PhD?
Accredited online psychology degrees provide many career opportunities in private sector, e.g., marketing, personnel management. There are also many positions in the public sector, e.g., in teaching, social and community work, mental health care in hospitals, clinics and schools.
The number of positions in this area is growing. The American Psychological Association says that psychology is the third fastest-growing field in America requiring a college degree. For the best jobs you really need a doctorate in clinical psychology.
Salaries are high among for top jobs clinical psychology. To a great extent it depends on your specialization in your clinical psychology PhD. In the US, in forensic clinical psychology the average salary is about US$71,000 (PayScales.com).
List of schools and programs
- Offers online master’s and doctor of philosophy programs in Psychology.
- Students may also enhance their professional development and choose from several specializations, including Addiction, Gender Diversity Studies, Organizational Psychology, and more.
- Both the master’s and doctor of philosophy programs have no GRE or GMAT exam requirements.
- 100% of faculty possesses a doctoral degree in their field.
- Most courses are online, but some require in-person engagement in local communities through internships/externships and other clinically supervised activities.
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Mental Health Policy and Practice - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Earn your Master's or Doctorate degree online
- Choose from degrees within the schools of Psychology, Organizational Leadership or Social, Human and Educational Development
- Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association
- All faculty hold doctorate degrees and bring real world experience to the classroom
- Doctor of Psychology, Health and Wellness Psychology