Counseling psychology is the application of psychology to the solving of the problems of everyday stresses, including career planning, learning difficulties, marriage guidance and family difficulties. This is different to clinical psychology, which deals with analysis, research and treatment of severe mental health disorders, such as bipolar disorder and schizophrenia.
If you are interested in working as a psychology counselor, then you should consider taking a counseling psychology PhD. This page tells you more about studying this field and helps you to locate a suitable PhD program, especially online. Before you can take a PhD you’ll need a masters, in which case check out the counseling psychology masters degree page.
What do you study in a counseling psychology PhD?
Counseling psychologists help people to solve interpersonal problems. To do this they use many techniques, including one-on-one interviews, group sessions and hypnosis. These are all skills that need to be learned. A good rapport between the counselor and the patient is essential for counseling sessions to be successful, so good interpersonal and communication skills are very important.
A typical counseling psychology doctorate would include: assessment, career development, human growth and development, interpersonal communications and relationships, group work, social and cultural diversity, research and program evaluation, professional identity.
What jobs can you get with a doctorate in counseling psychology?
The demand for psychology counselors seems to be increasing. As a graduate of an online counseling psychology program you would advise people on how to deal with problems of everyday living, including career or work problems and problems faced in different stages of life. You might be helping people overcome addictions and substance abuse, marriage and domestic issues. With a doctorate in counseling psychology you might work in K-12 education settings, hospitals, and non-profit organizations.
To be licensed to practice as a counselor in the US you also need to have a master’s degree or PhD in counseling and up to 2,000 hours of supervised clinical internship, in addition to taking a state-administered exam. The American Psychological Association (APA) accredits doctoral training programs in counseling, as well as institutions that provide internships for doctoral students in counseling psychology.
List of schools and programs
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Doctor of Ministry in Clinical Pastoral Education
- Offers online master’s and doctor of philosophy programs in Psychology.
- Students may also enhance their professional development and choose from several specializations, including Addiction, Gender Diversity Studies, Organizational Psychology, and more.
- Both the master’s and doctor of philosophy programs have no GRE or GMAT exam requirements.
- 100% of faculty possesses a doctoral degree in their field.
- Most courses are online, but some require in-person engagement in local communities through internships/externships and other clinically supervised activities.
- Child & Adolescent Therapy - PhD In Marriage/Family Therapy
- Medical Family Therapy - PhD In Marriage/Family Therapy
- Couple Therapy - PhD In Marriage/Family Therapy
- And more...
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- Doctor of Ministry: Pastoral Counseling
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
- Doctor of Psychology, Mediation & Conflict Resolution