A developmental psychology PhD can lead to a very rewarding career as a developmental psychologist. You would have the option of working in several different kinds of industries, such as mental health or law enforcement. With this degree, you will be able to open a business of your own, join others in a private venture or gain employment at a clinic or mental health services department.
This is a science that is dedicated to understanding human behavior so as to make things easier and better for us all in the future. By studying the way we are and how we became that way, we may be able to find ways to prevent the negative and accentuate the positive in our future. This page will help you to locate and find out more about studying suitable programs, as well as providing information on career prospects.
What do you study in these programs?
The goal of getting a PhD in developmental psychology means learning any and all relevant theories and research in the development throughout a life span. Programs will focus on all levels of education, from infancy to adulthood and how social, economic and other differences impact an individuals ability to grow, change, mature and cope with the harsh realities of life.
Courses will focus on identity theories, language skills, social, emotional and cognitive growth. The student will concentrate heavily on how culture impacts the rate of development and maturity. Humans are being studied on a constant basis in order to focus on issues that many people are struggling with. The goal of a researcher in this field is to accentuate the positive and fight against the negative. By studying a few responses and reactions, we are better able to gauge how to help someone with similar issues in the future.
In a PhD in human development you will be able to pursue any kind of psychological topic you wish that suits your professional interests, e.g., developmental science, instructional design, or teaching science. You may be required to attend some residential workshops during your program.
As preparation, taking a certificate, Associates, Bachelors and Masters degree in Psychology-related fields will ensure that someone pursuing this Doctorate degree is not heading in the wrong direction.
What are the prospects for graduates?
It is important when pursuing this as a career to check with the local state and federal laws to make sure you are properly licensed to work as a developmental psychologist. You may need to take some special courses or exams to obtain this license.
Depending on your location and the availability of jobs using your degree, you can count on making a fairly good salary to begin with. Most positions like these rank near the top in lists of lucrative jobs. The need for people who understand other people is crucial to normal societal dealings.
One can find developmental psychologists in management jobs or specialist positions in education, training, testing, or research. With a PhD child psychology or related degree, in a job as a school psychologist you could expect a salary of about US$52,000 (PayScales.com). With a doctorate it is also possible to obtain faculty positions at universities and community colleges, but this area of employment is highly competitive.
List of schools with developmental psychology PhD programs
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Online Ph.D. Applied Behavior Analysis
- Ph.D. Applied Behavior Analysis
- Ed.D. Educational Psychology and Technology
- And more...
- Committed to innovation, diversity, excellence, and accountability since its founding in 1996.
- Offers several programs in Business, Education, Psychology and more.
- Implements a one-to-one teaching model, partnering one student with one faculty member in each course.
- 100% of faculty members hold doctoral degrees.
- No physical residency requirements, allowing students to pursue their degree online.
- Mental Health Policy and Practice - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Counseling Psychology (EdD)
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- PhD in Psychology
You believe a better world is possible, and you want to be part of it. We share your vision.
Adler University educates students to engage the world and create a more just society. Established in 1952 to build on the pioneering work of Alfred Adler, the first community psychologist, the University offers master’s and doctoral degree programs for social change. Students enroll and complete degree programs at our urban campuses in downtown Chicago and Vancouver.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Counselor Education and Supervision
- Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology