A developmental psychology PhD can lead to a very rewarding career as a developmental psychologist. You would have the option of working in several different kinds of industries, such as mental health or law enforcement. With this degree, you will be able to open a business of your own, join others in a private venture or gain employment at a clinic or mental health services department.
This is a science that is dedicated to understanding human behavior so as to make things easier and better for us all in the future. By studying the way we are and how we became that way, we may be able to find ways to prevent the negative and accentuate the positive in our future. This page will help you to locate and find out more about studying suitable programs, as well as providing information on career prospects.
What do you study in these programs?
The goal of getting a PhD in developmental psychology means learning any and all relevant theories and research in the development throughout a life span. Programs will focus on all levels of education, from infancy to adulthood and how social, economic and other differences impact an individuals ability to grow, change, mature and cope with the harsh realities of life.
Courses will focus on identity theories, language skills, social, emotional and cognitive growth. The student will concentrate heavily on how culture impacts the rate of development and maturity. Humans are being studied on a constant basis in order to focus on issues that many people are struggling with. The goal of a researcher in this field is to accentuate the positive and fight against the negative. By studying a few responses and reactions, we are better able to gauge how to help someone with similar issues in the future.
In a PhD in human development you will be able to pursue any kind of psychological topic you wish that suits your professional interests, e.g., developmental science, instructional design, or teaching science. You may be required to attend some residential workshops during your program.
As preparation, taking a certificate, Associates, Bachelors and Masters degree in Psychology-related fields will ensure that someone pursuing this Doctorate degree is not heading in the wrong direction.
What are the prospects for graduates?
It is important when pursuing this as a career to check with the local state and federal laws to make sure you are properly licensed to work as a developmental psychologist. You may need to take some special courses or exams to obtain this license.
Depending on your location and the availability of jobs using your degree, you can count on making a fairly good salary to begin with. Most positions like these rank near the top in lists of lucrative jobs. The need for people who understand other people is crucial to normal societal dealings.
One can find developmental psychologists in management jobs or specialist positions in education, training, testing, or research. With a PhD child psychology or related degree, in a job as a school psychologist you could expect a salary of about US$52,000 (PayScales.com). With a doctorate it is also possible to obtain faculty positions at universities and community colleges, but this area of employment is highly competitive.
List of schools with developmental psychology PhD programs
- Walden’s MS in Psychology program offers 11 specializations to help you gain the knowledge and develop the skills needed to seek career advancement, help others, or prepare for doctoral studies.
- Prepare to apply the latest psychological research and theory to real-world problems, whether you choose to work in a community agency, in a healthcare setting, or in social services systems.
- Graduates of this program prepare themselves to apply psychological theory, research, and practice to scholarly and/or professional activities that promote positive social change.
- Our redesigned MS in Psychology program offers streamlined coursework—five specializations allow you to accelerate your path to a PhD by applying credits earned from your master’s program.
- Ph.D. in Developmental Psychology - Administration and Leadership
- Ph.D. in Developmental Psychology - Research
- Ph.D. in Developmental Psychology - Child and Adolescent Development
- And more...
- Several institutional scholarship opportunities are available to students who qualify.
- Features several learning model options, including online, residency, and hybrid options.
- Offers graduate degree programs in organizational leadership, mind-body medicine, psychology and human science.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Two teaching locations in Seattle, Washington with the university headquarters located in Oakland, California.
- Ph.D. Psychology, Psychophysiology Specialization
- Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology
- Ph.D. Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology
- Ph.D. in Counselor Education & Supervision
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.*
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *Excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Pastoral Counseling
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Performance Psychology
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Integrating Technology, Learning, and Psychology
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Ph.D. Counselor Education and Supervision
- Ph.D. Business Psychology, Consulting Track
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts