The world of finance is fascinating and complex. There are many, many different things you can do with an education in this field because there are always financial issues that need to be resolved. Every single day we make decisions about our personal finances and businesses are working through theirs regularly to stay on track with their money. Obtaining a finance masters can be a rewarding step toward a lucrative career.
This page helps you find out more about masters in finance degree programs. It explains what the courses involve, what employers expect, and what you can expect to earn.
What is studied in the masters finance program?
The most important thing that someone will learn when they decide to get a financial education is mathematics. Financial management and investment analysis are two of the main courses that you will take, to help you understand the language that is used and the procedures to follow when working in a corporate situation or a private situation. An understanding of values, statistics, economics and risk management are also necessary to do this job successfully. These are all subjects that a finance major will include in one form or another.
If someone were to pursue a masters in this field without first obtaining a similar bachelors degree in the same field, they may find that they need to provide some proof of experience or at least good scores in money matters and mathematics. They will need to focus their studies also on graphs, charts, theories and development. Graduates will be able to manage and control assets, work in debt consolidation, financial advising, fundraising and other opportunities.
What certification is required for a career in finance?
Many business finance professionals qualify by studying an online MBA in finance – it is an excellent way to obtain the qualifications needed in both business and finance. But you may also need relevant professional certification.
To qualify for Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) certification, you need at least a bachelor’s degree and three years of professional experience in a relevant field. To qualify for Certified Financial Planner (CFP) certification, you need academic credits, to pass the CFP exams, and to follow a strict code of ethics. Other certifications relevant to this field include Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC), Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Cash Manager, and Certified Management Accountant (CMA).
What jobs are there for graduates?
A financial analyst will usually start out making a good salary annually. The field is not dwindling, as the need for people to handle other people and businesses financial issues is not likely to lessen over the years. There is always a need for people who work well with this career.
It is also important to be an honest and upstanding person when dealing with finances and peoples money. People want to count on their financial advisors to have their best interests at heart, taking care of someone else’s money as if it were their own. They want to know that their advisor will invest properly, advise correctly and be honest in their practices.
Getting a masters in finance can be easy for people who are dedicated to gaining success from their education. They must be motivated to take all the right steps to reaching their goal. If they have succeeded in getting their degree, they can succeed in using it to create the career they always hoped they would have. Many job opportunities for someone with a degree in finance start around $40,000 but the potential for more is great. Chief Finance Officers and Financial Directors earn over $120,000 per year.
List of finance masters schools and programs
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.B.A. in Corporate Finance
- M.S. in Accounting
- M.S. in Accounting - Accounting for the Professional
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.B.A.: Finance
- M.S. in Accounting
- M.B.A.: Accounting
- And more...
- Offers fully online Business programs with master’s and doctoral programs in business administration and organizational leadership.
- Students may choose from various specializations, including Financial Management, Human Resources Management, Marketing, Healthcare Administration, and more.
- Business Administration programs do not have GRE or GMAT exam requirements.
- 100% of faculty possesses a doctoral degree in their field.
- Students may pursue their degree completely online, with no physical residency requirements.
- MBA - Building Creativity
- MBA - Corporate Social Responsibility
- MBA - Performance Improvement
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Finance
- MBA - Finance
- MS in Accounting - Finance Specialization
- And more...
Lasell College Online
An innovator in education for over 150 years, Lasell College is a private, non-profit, comprehensive coeducational college offering professionally oriented degree programs. Our 50-acre campus is located in suburban Newton, Massachusetts-within eight miles of downtown Boston.
Lasell College is fully accredited by The New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC). NEASC is a non-governmental, nationally recognized organization. Accreditation of an institution by the New England Association indicates that it meets or exceeds criteria for the assessment on institutional quality periodically applied through a peer group review process. An accredited school or college is one which has available the necessary resources to achieve its stated purposes through appropriate educational programs, is substantially doing so, and gives reasonable evidence that it will continue to do so in the foreseeable future. Institutional integrity is also addressed through accreditation.
- Professional MBA
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Business Administration (MBA)