Graduate programs in business are the most popular choice of degree by students. They open up a world of business employment opportunities and can give you that promotion and status you’re looking for. And taking a program online makes it easy to complete your qualification whilst still working.
Business knowledge and skills are essential whether you are setting-up your own business or seeking employment in a company or NGO. In order to develop these, you will find that communication, interpersonal, negotiation and leadership skills are all essential components of most degrees. You will also study the fundamentals of business, economics, accounting, finance, marketing and human resources management. This page has details of the programs, career prospects, and more …
Types of graduate programs
If you already have an undergraduate degree, you can study business at graduate certificate, masters and PhD levels. Brief details of these levels for graduate business programs are given below:
- Graduate certificates in business are designed for students with an undergraduate degree who do not wish to take a master’s degree, or for those who already have graduate degree in one field and now wish to move to another field. Courses in a certificate program will usually be credited toward the associated master’s degree program. Sometimes there are specially designed executive certificates for managers and others seeking career changes or increased job opportunities.
- Masters in business degrees are probably the most popular degree chosen by students with an undergraduate degree. In particular, online business MBA programs are popular among working adults.
- PhDs in business can be taken in most specializations, but tend to focus on greater understanding of leadership and organizational change, high level decision-making, and finance in the modern business organization. Usually, you must already have a master’s degree before commencing a PhD.
Lists of schools offering programs at these various levels can be found by clicking the links under “Business by Mode/Level” in the right hand column.
Specializations in business programs
At graduate certificate and masters levels, you have many specializations to choose from. Some of these are listed below and further details can be found by clicking the appropriate links. It is possible to specialize further in these at doctoral level.
- Accounting (accountancy) is an essential part of any business and a very common choice amongst the specializations in graduate programs. Basically it is concerned with the preparation, analyzing and interpretation of financial statements.
- Administration degrees at graduate level, in particular the MBA (Masters in Business Administration), are very popular. For those business professionals who have prior work and management experience, it is often possible to take an online Executive MBA.
- Banking programs will prepare a graduate student for the many aspects in regard to banking, including: credit analyst, loan officer, branch manager, investment banker and financial planner.
- Business Analyst graduate programs prepare students to look at the structure of the organization, assess the way in which the departments and units interact, and how technology can be used to assist the organization to operate whilst conducting its business.
- Entrepreneurship programs provide the skills and knowledge for launching your own business.
- Finance is an essential part of any company. Although perhaps less in demand than accountancy, there is always a need for financial planners and financial managers in organizations.
- Human Resources graduate degrees prepare you for the many varied tasks involving staff interactions in the workplace, and for using HR management as a strategic part of the success of a business.
- Information Systems is concerned with the activities and technologies involved in collecting, processing, storing, distributing and using information in organizations and society.
- International Business graduate programs can lead to exciting and well paid careers in a rapidly expanding field as organizations compete for business in the global arena.
- Leadership graduate degree programs are useful for those interested in pursuing supervisory, management or leadership positions in business, government, military and other settings.
- Management graduate business management degree prepares you as a manager to assist with the organization and smooth running of a company.
- Marketing is an essential tool for any business, so a graduate marketing degree is a high demand, profitable qualification.
- Non Profit Management graduate degrees are similar to traditional business management, but the focus is on meeting the needs of the underserved rather than on profit for the shareholders.
- Organizational Leadership graduate degrees focus on the skills of transformational leadership, i.e., those skills needed to help an organization to undergo whatever changes are required in order to achieve its vision.
- Project Management graduate degrees prepare students with the planning, execution, and coordination of projects to ensure they are completed within the time set and without going over budget.
You can also check the programs listed below for these and other specializations in business.
List of schools with graduate programs in business
Everest University Online, a Division of Everest University, makes career training convenient and accessible. With courses tailored for working students and others who need a more flexible class schedule.
- Business Administration (Master's)
- Master of Business Administration
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Business Administration (MBA)
- Business Intelligence
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Masters: Business Administration
- MS in Management
- Master of Science in Management : Human Resources
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Business Administration - Innovation Management
- Master of Business Administration - International Business
- Master of Business Administration - AMBA
Villanova University, a co-educational Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Order of Saint Augustine in 1842 in Villanova, Pennsylvania. A premier institution of higher education, Villanova provides a comprehensive education rooted in the liberal arts; a shared commitment to the Augustinian ideals of truth, unity and love; and a community dedicated to service to others.
- Online Master of Business Administration
- MBA - Banking and Finance
- MBA - International Management and Marketing
- MBA - Project Quality and Management
A degree from CTU can connect you to a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. So once you earn your degree, you hit the ground sprinting. That’s the power of in. Are you in?
- Colorado Springs - Doctor of Management - Organizational Development and Change
- Colorado Springs - Doctor of Management - Global Leadership
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Management General Concentration (Executive Format)