Change is the only constant in health care – and big changes will occur in the next few years as the system meets the demands placed on it by an aging population and by changes in government policy reforms. So a career in healthcare management can be very challenging – but it is also very rewarding. A healthcare management PhD program prepares you for a leadership position in this exciting environment.
This page gives you more information about what is involved in studying a health care management PhD, where you can study it , and how much you can expect to earn after completion. Click here for master’s degree and undergraduate degree programs. You might also like to look at the PhD in health care administration programs.
What is studied in a healthcare management PhD?
A healthcare management program at doctoral level prepares you for leadership and a variety of management tasks, including: overseeing budgets, monitoring progress programs, working with the community, advocating for the organization or sector and dealing with legal issues. Typically it would include advanced course work similar to that found in business management, e.g., ethics, law, business analysis, strategic planning, organizational change, quality improvement, collaboration, leadership strategies, and advocacy, but these would be focused on the healthcare field.
But healthcare management can be studied in a variety of degrees at doctoral level. Some may be labelled “administration” but develop management skills such as strategic planning, total quality management, problem identification and resolution, whilst others concentrate on healthcare leadership.
Healthcare doctoral students should follow industry news to be ready for entering the healthcare/business world after graduation. Click here to read and get a free subscription to Health Study Weekly and Business Professional Daily News.
What are the prospects after graduation?
There are several careers in healthcare management open to you. Your studies prepare you to work in many positions of leadership in healthcare management. Your job title might be: Medical Office Manager, Health Service Manager, Healthcare Administrator, or Hospital Administrator. But you can also apply for teaching positions in university or college.
Your health management salary will depend on the size of the facility, your experience, qualifications and level of responsibility. Employment of medical and health services managers is expected to grow faster than other occupations in the US – 16 percent from 2006 to 2016 (Bureau of Labor Statistics) – so jobs in healthcare management should be available for suitably qualified applicants (further details here).
List of healthcare management schools and programs
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.*
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *Excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Doctor of Business Administration: Healthcare Management
- DBA in Leadership
- Through our PhD in Public Policy and Administration program, you can become prepared to take the lead in developing sustainable solutions to improve quality of life for individuals and communities.
- The online PhD in Public Policy and Administration program can prepare you to meet the challenges of governance and public service in the United States and around the world.
- Graduates can use evidence-based research to evaluate models and best practices in local, state, national, and international public agencies.
- Four academic residencies enrich your learning experience by enabling you to meet face to face with peers, staff, and faculty while gaining skills to prepare you for your dissertation.
- Ph.D. in Health Services - Self-Designed
- Ph.D. in Health Services- Health Care Administration
- Ph.D. in Health Services - Leadership
- And more...
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
- Doctor of Management - Healthcare Management and Leadership (Executive Format)
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Business Administration and Management, Accounting, Healthcare Administration, Marketing and Entrepreneurship Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Business Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Several institutional scholarship opportunities are available to students who qualify.
- Features several learning model options, including online, residency, and hybrid options.
- Offers graduate degree programs in organizational leadership, mind-body medicine, psychology and human science.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Two teaching locations in Seattle, Washington with the university headquarters located in Oakland, California.
- Registered nurses, advance your career - earn your Master of Science in Nursing online with GCU.
- Our MSN degree will strengthen your knowledge, values, analytical and critical thinking skills so you are prepared to advocate the highest-level of care possible.
- GCU prepares nurses for leadership roles in today's rapidly changing healthcare delivery systems.
- Earn an MSN degree with an emphasis in health care informatics, nursing education, public health and more.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- As a CCNE-accredited school of nursing, Wilkes University is fully committed to preparing our students for a career of lifelong learning and success in a constantly evolving, dynamic profession.
- We offer online programs for nurses at any stage in their career. From our R.N. to M.S.N., to our Ph.D. in Nursing, choose the program that is right for you.
- Learn from doctorally-prepared, highly qualified instructors. Our faculty are true "scholar-practitioners," and bring real-world experience to every subject.
- Receive a supportive, student-focused online education. Our programs are designed so that you can complete coursework when and where it's convenient for you.
- We offer accelerated completion options for qualified students in our R.N. to M.S.N. and M.S.N. programs – earn your master’s degree fully online and finish faster.
- Our net tuition cost for nursing programs is among the most competitive for regionally accredited universities.
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.