Taking an organizational psychology PhD is a good step towards a rewarding career. The role of a psychologist in an organization is to create a positive working environment, and to assist in maintaining harmony and good working relationships. It is a career that is challenging, but also very interesting and rewarding, especially for someone with a relevant PhD.
Organizational psychology doctoral programs are very popular with graduate students. Many students who are unable to attend on-campus classes take distance learning programs instead. This page will help you to find out more about this career and to locate suitable programs, especially university online programs.
What do you study in an organizational psychology PhD program?
You must first have a master’s degree before you can study a PhD – go to the masters in organizational psychology page for more details of these programs, or find out more about organizational psychology at all levels (including associate and bachelor levels).
As an organizational psychologist, you deal with people in a number of business settings. Your role is to improve the work place environments and workplace communications; to help groups function effectively; and, to facilitate negotiations, problem solving and group cohesion. So in an industrial organizational psychology doctorate program you learn about adult, social, and group psychology. You will also learn how to examine the culture of a given organization and evaluate the effect it has on the business, and how to create work environments conducive to better performance. You would also cover some of the following: communication, advanced testing, statistical and research methodology, team building, motivational, analysis and evaluation, leadership, and critical thinking.
What are the prospects for graduates?
The federal Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) predicts that the fastest growing profession through to 2022 in the United States is Industrial-Organizational Psychology. The profession is expected to increase dramatically, by 53%, which puts it ahead of various health care jobs (with health predicted to be the fastest-growing sector).
With a PhD industrial psychology or PhD organizational psychology, you can choose a career in human resources, work in executive search firms, be a research consultant, or teach in universities. Salaries are high among some of the jobs, but vary widely depending on the job type, geographical location, company size, education level and experience. For example, as an HR Manager with 5-9 years experience, you would earn over US$57,000 per annum (PayScale.com). Some other job titles to look for are: Senior Research Consultant, Human Resources Consultant and Employee Relations Manager.
List of industrial psychology schools and programs
- Offers online master’s and doctor of philosophy programs in Psychology.
- Students may also enhance their professional development and choose from several specializations, including Addiction, Gender Diversity Studies, Organizational Psychology, and more.
- Both the master’s and doctor of philosophy programs have no GRE or GMAT exam requirements.
- 100% of faculty possesses a doctoral degree in their field.
- Most courses are online, but some require in-person engagement in local communities through internships/externships and other clinically supervised activities.
- Industrial/Organizational Psychology - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Industrial Organizational Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Industrial/Organizational Psychology - D.B.A.
- And more...
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership - Human Resource Development
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership - Entrepreneurial Leadership
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership - Ecclesial Leadership
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management - Organizational Development and Change (Executive Format)
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.