A sports psychology masters degree provides the student with the ability to motivate and educate coaches, parents, athletes, fitness professionals and other interested stakeholders about the psychological aspects of sport and it’s affect on performance and enjoyment of all forms of sport. This page will help you to find out more and to locate suitable university online programs.
Participating in an elite sport can place an emotional toll on the well being of the individuals involved. Health needs and psychological needs overlap with the focus on physical development. The pressure to perform can impact negatively on the emotional well being of the athletes.
A sports psychology degree is a fairly recent innovation enabling psychology graduates to practice applied psychology to assist in the psychological development and well being of elite sports men and women.
The training enables the psychologist to work with the athletes in obesity prevention, exercise promotion and performance enhancement. They participate in the development of social and team dynamic factors that influence participation in sport and team cohesion. Their major role is to motivate athletes to produce their best personal performances and to support athletes through injury, provide resources for emotional well being and to assist with performance enhancement motivation.
What do you study in sports psychology masters programs?
The masters of sports psychology program is available online and in increasing numbers of US universities as the number of sporting organizations seeking qualified team psychologists continues to grow. Prerequisite for the program is a recognized bachelor’s degree and professional experience in sport. The course length is variable according to the type of study and place of study.
The training involves a combination of modules to study, field work, role play and case studies. A typical sport psychology masters degree may include the following: biological basis of behavior; human development; human motivation; cognitive psychology; research design; psychological testing; statistics; cultural diversity; coaching; psychosocial aspects of sport behavior.
Online studies enable those who are already employed to continue to study as they work, but for those who are looking at a career change, the discipline and assistance provided by a full time focused course may assist them to gain employment at the conclusion of their study.
Anyone wanting to become a certified practitioners should consider contacting the Association for the Advancement of Applied Sports Psychology (AAASP) for certification details.
The career prospects for graduates of a sports psychology
There are many different types of sports psychology jobs available. The Olympic Federation National Sporting Bodies and individual professional athletes are amongst the opportunities for employment.
As the number of sports recognizing the benefit of a staff psychologist is increasing so also the numbers of employment positions are increasing. The annual sports psychology salary range is $45,000 to $80,000. Some rare opportunities for salaries in excess of a million dollars a year do exist. All psychologist specializations are experiencing a growth in salaries as demand for their service increases. This trend is expected to continue in the future.
Employment usually means working as a member of a team and for those who love sports, the combination of clinical skills and a sporting interest can produce a career pathway that is interesting and very fulfilling. The time invested in study and preparation for the career is rewarding and interesting and the career opportunities are diverse once license is achieved.
List of sports psychology schools and programs
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Sport-Exercise Psychology (MA)
- School Psychology (EdS)
- Educational Psychology (MA)
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Science in General Psychology
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- MS in Psychology
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science in Psychology : Applied Behavior Analysis
- Master of Science: Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology : General Psychology
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country (Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C.) and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- MA Behavioral Economics
- M.A. Psychology
- M.A. International Psychology
- MS Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology - Forensic Psychology
- MS Political Science
- And more...
University of Valley Forge was founded in 1939 and is part of an international network of Assemblies of God colleges and universities.
A private university with undergraduate, graduate and lifelong learning programs, our mission is to prepare individuals for a life of service and leadership in the church and in the world.
- MS - Psychology
As a recognized leader in higher education since 1920, IWU empowers busy adults to reach their educational goals, advance in their careers, and find their true calling in life, all within a supportive, faith-based environment.
- Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy
Adler University Online Graduate Degree Programs
Adler University offers fully online, accredited master’s degrees with the academic rigor, personal attention, and commitment to social responsibility that have distinguished our institution for more than 60 years. Our graduates are prepared as highly effective leaders advocating for stronger, healthier, and safer communities in their professional roles effecting social change as counselors, first responders, corporate managers, military personnel, nonprofit organizers, and more. Established in 1952 to build on the pioneering work of Alfred Adler, the first community psychologist, Adler University is an independent, nonprofit institution.
- Master of Arts in Psychology: Specialization in Military Psychology