What is substance abuse counseling? We use alcohol, drugs and other substances for a variety of legitimate or social reasons. But when that use becomes an over-use or addictive disorder, then it is classified as “substance abuse”. Substance abuse counselors (also called behavioral disorder counselors) help people who have problems with alcohol, drugs, substance abuse and eating disorders.
With the national and international rate of substance abuse continuously rising. The need for people who understand the special needs of individuals who are caught in an abusive cycle is constantly growing. While the number of counselors in this specialized field continues to grow, the specific needs of people who are drug, alcohol or other substance dependent has created a requirement for more alcohol and substance abuse counselors who have studied the problem at an advanced level and gained a substance abuse masters.
This page has information on what it mean to be a substance abuse counselor, where to find suitable programs, and more …
Educational requirements for alcohol and substance abuse counselor careers
The masters degree provides counselors with advanced intervention skills for their clients, the patients families and other stakeholders like rehabilitation abuse facilities. It is usually the minimum requirement to be a licensed substance abuse counselor and practice in most States of the USA. The modules studied by counselors provide instruction in subjects such as pharmacology, group and individual counseling, prevention and treatment resources, as well as applicable laws and regulations.
Professional and ethical courses are required in student studies, which educates interested candidates as they pursue an education in the medical field. These courses of study will educate students and prepare them for the professional field of counseling, and the ethical standards required in this demanding medical practice.
Courses provided at this level, offer students case studies with evidence based scenarios to assist them to present the latest research and proven successful skills to students. This approach enables students to return to their practices prepared to meet the changing needs of their clients in modern society. The courses are designed to produce counselors who can provide leadership and creativity where they are employed, whether in private practice or in institutions, schools or medical facilities.
College courses in drug and alcohol abuse counseling are available in all States of the USA, and in many countries around the world. Courses can be studied online or in conventional training environment in a University or College. They usually require a commitment of two years, depending on whether the courses are studied part time or full time. Students study modules and engage in field practice as part of the requirements. In the USA, the courses are designed under the guidelines of the National Board for Certified Counselors and provide the National Certified Counselor Credential (NCCC).
Prerequisites for the masters include a bachelors degree and a minimum GRE (Graduate Record Examination). Some programs also require undergraduate or post graduate course work in a related field. In the USA, completion of a masters in substance abuse is a prerequisite for licensing in many of the individual States. Once a student successfully completes the academic requirements they can apply for licensing to become a drug and alcohol abuse counselor in a state of the students choosing.
What are the prospects for graduates?
The current pay scale for Counselors ranges from $24,500 to $60,000 a year depending on experience and qualifications. Faster than average increase in new counselors required continues to create great demand for licensed counselors. Recent research suggests that 5,000 new counselors are required every year to meet the growing demand for counseling services across all sectors providing client services.
There are options for continuing substance abuse education after the completion of academic college courses, with many counselors electing to pursue a PhD in Rehabilitation Counseling and Administration. Students may choose to focus their career advancement in private or public practice.
List of substance abuse masters schools and programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor?s Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- MS in Psychology
- And more...
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling
- Master of Science in General Psychology
- Earn your Master's or Doctorate degree online
- Choose from degrees within the schools of Psychology, Organizational Leadership or Social, Human and Educational Development
- Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association
- All faculty hold doctorate degrees and bring real world experience to the classroom
- MA in Psychology, Career Management and Counseling Specialization
- MA in Psychology, General Psychology
- MA in Psychology, Health and Wellness Psychology
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- And more...
- We believe in your right to affordable access to higher education.
- Dedicated team of advisors. Over 200 online programs. And one of the lowest tuition rates in the nation.
- Southern New Hampshire University. Private. Nonprofit. Accredited.
- MS Psychology - Industrial & Org'l Psych
- Master of Science in Psychology - Forensic Psychology
- MS Psychology - Child & Developmental Psych
- And more...
- Earn a graduate degree from an established university that shares your values of social justice and healthy communities.
- All online master’s degree courses are instructed by experienced, accomplished faculty.
- Our rigorous online master’s degrees can be completed in as little as two years.
- New online graduate students are eligible for scholarships and other offers.
- Master of Arts in Psychology: Specialization in Military Psychology
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science in Psychology : Addictions
- Master of Science in Psychology : Applied Behavior Analysis
- Master of Science: Psychology
- And more...
Pursue an advanced degree in Psychology or Counseling at Divine Mercy University. Study for an M.S. online, or start your Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology on campus. Learn more now
- Online M.S. Counseling
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Master of Arts in Counseling - Professional School Counseling (PSC)